> Through the looking glass: THE RED HOUSE CONE 'HOME OF STUART CRYSTAL'

WELCOME TO MY SITE
I have written this blog mainly through my interest of Stuart crystal. After being at home with my daughter I started to use my computer more often and I started selling my stuff on eBay which lead me to buying Stuart crystal from the art deco period with the Stratford rings. After searching the web for more information on this style I found there is not much information around. So I started to write this site which includes pictures of my collection and some of my other interests. As I collect more I will be adding other pictures as well (I'm sure other designs will creep in).

I have had several questions regarding the value of Stuart Crystal glasses, I'm sorry I am unable to give valuations as I am a private collector, and I do not have that knowlege. I have picked Stuart glasses up from as little as 20p up to a few pounds So they are worth whatever people are prepared to pay!

So I hope you enjoy reading my site, find some of my posts interesting and the pictures are a useful reference.

Subscribe in a reader

Please feel free to use my guestbook .
If you have enjoyed a particular post you can leave a comment on each post, or even subscribe to my reader.
Guestbook
Guestbook RSS feed
Add to GoogleAddThis Social Bookmark Button


THE RED HOUSE CONE 'HOME OF STUART CRYSTAL'

The Red House Cone



Picture is courtesy of 'The History anarak'.

The red house glass cone is generally know for being the home of Stuart crystal, who produced crystal in the cone from 1916 until 1936, until Stuart out grew the cone and moved to a factory across the road producing crystal till the Waterford Wedgwood took over Stuart crystal, and closed its doors in 2001.

The cone was built around 1790. Its is a amazing 100ft high, a local landmark. It is one of the only 4 glass cones still standing, and is still being used now, as a heritage centre, museum and workshop. Dudley Council owns the Red House Glass Cone. It is also a listed building. http://www.dudley.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/museums--galleries/red-house-glass-cone

It is situated in the Stourbridge area,'The glass quarter' , where glass has been manufactured for centuries, The Red House Cone sits along side the Stourbridge canal.

Picture is courtesy of ' head off elephant / Wayne Ruston'.

Thank you to history anarak and head of elephant/Wayne Rusto for letting me publish their pictures!


6 comments:

    It somehow reminds me of those cone houses in the Disney movie Cars. Are all glass houses similar shapes for a reason?

     

    Hey, I saw your post on Blog catalog, and decided to stop by and check it out. Pretty interesting blog.Heh, that second picture of the cone sure is ominous looking. Hey, just curious, why the interest in stuart crystal? What is special about it?

     

    yes mitch the older ones were!
    Glass cones were used to provide a work space for the glassmakers and at the same time they acted as a giant chimney for the furnace itself.

     

    worth collecting as Stuart crystal is no more! Hey its better than collecting thimbles!No affence to thimble collectors.

     

    I like the slogan for your site

    check me out at:
    Lame News
    http://lamenews.blogspot.com

     

    very good blog congratulations
    regard from Catalonia Spain
    thank you

     

comments

Enhanced with Snapshots

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum